Bush Bean Borlotti Red Rooster 100 Seeds
Sowing and Planting Tips:
- Grow beans from seeds or seedlings.
- Seed is viable for 2 years.
- Direct-sow beans in the garden in spring after all danger of frost has passed and the soil has warmed to 60°F (16°C). In warm-winter regions, sow beans in in late summer for harvest in winter. Time sowing so that beans come to harvest before the first frost.
- Optimal soil temperature for growing bush or pole beans is 70°F to 80°F (16-18°C).
- If you want to start beans indoors, sow seed in peat pots 3 to 2 weeks before transplanting seedlings to the garden. The optimal indoor temperature is 65°F (18°C) until germination.
- Sow seed 1 inch (2.5 cm) deep.
- Seeds germinate in 4 to 10 days.
- Transplant beans into the garden after the soil has warmed to at least 70°F (21°C).
- Space bush beans 6 inches (15 cm) apart in all directions; space pole beans 4 inches (10 cm) apart.
- When sowing pole bean seed at or before sowing, put poles or a trellis in place for vines to climb.
- Bush beans are usually determinate with a 1 to 2 week period of harvest—then the plant will be finished; poled beans are indeterminate with a continuous harvest over 6 to 8 weeks if they are picked every two days and are not allowed to ripen on the vine.
- Keep the soil just moist; letting the soil dry out will interrupt pod development.
- Fertilize with fish emulsion or a soluble complete fertilizer at half strength.
- Add aged compost to planting beds in advance of transplanting.
- Beans prefer a soil pH range of 6.0 to 6.8.
- Grow beans in full sun for best yield.
- Avoid planting beans where cabbage family plants or onions have grown recently.
- Common bean pest enemies include aphids, bean leaf beetles, leafhoppers, cabbage loopers cucumber beetles, flea beetles, Mexican bean beetles and whiteflies.
- Common diseases include Anthracnose, bacterial blight and wilt, bean rust, common mosaic, fusarium wilt, downy mildew, powdery mildew, yellow mosaic.
Interplanting: Plant bush beans with carrots, celery, chard, corn, cucumber, eggplant, potatoes and strawberry. Plant pole beans with corn, rosemary, and sunflowers.
Container Growing: Choose bush varieties for containers. Use a container 8 inches (20 cm) wide and 8 to 10 inches deep.
Stringless, vigorous, productive, bright red and white pods to 16cm. 55-60 days.